Purpose of role
Working in the Legal and Compliance team, the successful candidate will assist the Investment group in working with external legal counsel and investee organisations to execute all commitments made by our Investment Committee. You will also assist colleagues in the Legal and Compliance team with corporate and commercial matters to aid compliance with relevant governance, regulatory and legislative requirements. The internal legal and regulatory work will include drafting and negotiating research contracts, website hosting contracts, non-disclosure agreements and other commercial contracts and assisting with our compliance monitoring programme and regulatory returns. You will also support the preparation of term sheets and assist with structuring of investments, and support the negotiation and completion of investment documentation.
The role will give the successful candidate broad exposure to all areas of our work although the candidate will spend the majority of their time between working on internal corporate/commercial matters alongside colleagues in the Legal and Compliance team and with the Investment group. The candidate will also work with all other teams on any relevant legal issues that arise. The key external relationships for this role will be Big Society Capital's external counsel , investee organisations and their legal counsel, and our co-investors.
- Support the Investment team with term sheet discussions and identifying and addressing initial legal issues in respect of a proposed investment.
- Alongside colleagues in the legal and compliance team, assist with the negotiation of the legal documentation, representing Big Society Capital and working with co-investors, and assist with the completion process for our investments.
- Alongside colleagues in the legal and compliance team, maintain a knowledge of our legal obligations and make sure we have all necessary documentation in place and properly stored.
- Participate in the management of investments over their lifetime, including any amendments to legal documentation and any waivers that may be required
- Participate in the process to dispose of investments.
- Support colleagues in the legal and compliance team with administrative matters relating to instructing and working with external counsel.
General corporate/commercial work
- Help other teams (Operations Group (including Finance, Operations and HR) and the Engagement Group (comprising Communications, Social Sector Engagement and Investor Engagement)) to address legal questions when they arise.
- Alongside colleagues in the legal and compliance team, draft and negotiate research contracts, website hosting contracts, non-disclosure agreements and other commercial contracts.
- Work with colleagues in the legal and compliance team to create precedents and templates for internal use.
- Work with colleagues in the legal and compliance team to establish a training programme on legal and regulatory compliance matters.
- Support the Internal Counsel and Compliance Officer with regulatory matters and addressing internal regulatory compliance queries.
- Complete projects and research to support the social investment market in relation to law and financial regulation.
- Support the Internal Counsel and Compliance Officer with reviewing new legislation and implementing consequential changes to our processes and policies.
- Assist with the compliance monitoring programme including assistance with preparing for monthly compliance monitoring visits and financial regulatory returns.
- Assist with arranging appropriate training for the office on compliance matters.
- Support the Internal Counsel and Compliance Officer and Investment Officer with customer due diligence requirements.
Skills and experience
- English law qualified solicitor with at least one year PQE.
- Knowledge and experience of transactional finance.
- Ability to draft and negotiate investment documentation.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Knowledge and experience of investment funds.
- Experience of working in-house.
- Engagement with the third sector in some capacity (e.g. trustee of charity).
All applicants must have existing Right to Work in the UK
Big Society Capital is an equal opportunities employer